Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving 2015

Happy Thanksgiving 2015!

by Russell "Bilingual Boy" Burbage
This marks the second year for the Legion of Super-Bloggers. We started in September 2014, and now here we are still going strong in November 2015. As we barrel forward, it's always good to have a clear understanding of the past. So here is our 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Day LSB post!

For those of you who may not be from the United States, Thanksgiving Day is the fourth Thursday of November. It is set aside to get together with family and friends to take stock of all of our blessings over the past year. It was originally created by our first immigrants, the Pilgrims, after they survived a horrific first year in their New World.

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. As an adult living abroad (I lived in Japan for 14 years) I always tried to take the Thanksgiving weekend and have "family time." Now that I am back in the United States, it is the one time of year that I take time off and visit my family. Last year I hit upon the idea of making up a Legion of Super-Heroes version of Norman Rockwell's famous "Freedom From Want" painting and posting it on Thanksgiving Day. To me, the Legion is all about Family. They may not all get along all the time, but they would literally die for each other. Doesn't that sound like Family?
"Freedom From Want" by Norman Rockwell
Click HERE to read last year's essay, which was mostly about who I chose to be in the picture, and why. I ended up calling it "Giving Thanks Day 2986."

This year has been a bittersweet one. On the good side we held an open call for new members in June and ended up adding Condo Arlik, Myk-El, and Continuity Kid. On the very bad side, we lost one of our brothers when David Sopko passed away on November 11. I actually got to meet David on one of my trips to Detroit. We met at a famous pizzeria named The Green Lantern (seriously!) He was a great conversationalist. He seemed like a very nice man who loved his children very much and looked forward to continue to pass on his love of comics to them. We will miss him.

So what am I thankful for? First of all, I must thank my fellow Bloggers! Thank you for making this blog so much fun. We are happily a part of The Fire and Water Nation, and I *literally* could not do this without you. I love working with all of you guys.

And almost as importantly, here's a big THANK YOU to our fans. I am humbled to think that there are so many other people looking at our page and enjoying (?) what we do. We would probably still do this without you, but knowing you are there makes it even more fun.

Have a safe and happy (Thanksgiving) weekend...
and Long Live the Legion!

No comments:

Post a Comment