Monday, October 11, 2021

Sarcasm Kid's NYCC 2021 Legion Sketch Post

Wow. So. It's been two years since my last comic con and... a lot's happened.

Like a LOT.

It hasn't been a good two years.

I was only able to go to New York Comic Con on Thursday and Sunday due to my boss going on vacation. Because this was my first convention since 2019 and with everything that's gone on since then, I decided to really splurge. I've dealt with being threatened working the Census, my grandpa dying, getting COVID, my mom being diagnosed with cancer, and that hurricane flooding my boiler room.

I EARNED THIS.

That said, here are the Legion-themed sketches I picked up at the convention. As usual, my sketches range from actual Legionnaires to supporting characters to Legion homages, as well heavyset-related stuff in my special sketchbook. I've met some new artists while also commissioning a few familiar faces.

DAY ONE

Ringtoss by Dean Kotz

My first Legion sketch at the show comes from Dean, who previously did a Goosebumps character for me several years ago.


Ringtoss was one of the United Planets Military Cadets, but was accidentally killed by his fellow cadet Jagged.

Dean really went all out on this to the point of even including a background.

--

Tyroc (Evil) by Bill Walko

I pity da fool who doesn't remember the evil Legionnaires summoned by the Time Trapper during the Reboot Legion. Among them was a Tyroc counterpart reimagined as a parody of Mr. T.

He was promptly taken down by Saturn Girl.

It's always fun to see Bill and I had this idea in mind from him for ages.

--

Arsenal and Lightning Lad by Comfort Love and Adam Withers

Honestly, it's harder to get heavyset-themed pieces at mainstream shows like NYCC. It's difficult to get comfortable enough to asks artists for this sort of thing.

That said, Comfort and her husband Adam were both cool with doing my two favorite guys as round together. It meant a lot to me to express my kink at the convention after so long (especially with what a nightmare the last week and a half was).

--

Lightning Lass and Shrinking Violet by Michael Wernke

Michael shared a table with writer Eric Palicki and had examples of "precious moments" commissions for superheroes.

I got Michael to illustrate Ayla and Vi in these one-off outfits they had in the Baxter era.

Let it be said these are not outfits that straight women wear.

--

Polar Boy by Rich Bernatovech

I commissioned Rich to work on Brek's weird one-shot costume from the Subs' spotlight issue because surprise! Rich's writing a story for DC's 2021 holiday anthology, and it's about Polar Boy!

I plan to do an interview with Rich for Super-Bloggers closer to the release date of the issue, but from what I've seen I assure you all it's something Legion fans will enjoy.

DAY TWO

Ultra Boy by Reilly Brown

So I got two weight-gain related sketches at NYCC. I had a similar idea for this next to Reilly's name for a few years but then decided to just go for it.

This was the first time I tried to get something like this straightforwardly from Reilly. Jo's a bit grumpier than I expected but it's still a relief for me that people don't actually have a problem with this concept.

Part of the reference was a commission Jeff Moy did for me a few years back.

--

Camera Eye by Agnes Garbowska

Agnes is such a sweetheart, I swear to God. I previously got a sketch from her on Thursday and she didn't charge me for it after we talked about what we were dealing with since the pandemic started. I was so touched I went back today and got another sketch from her. And she STILL gave me a discount for it.


This poor reject never even got a proper name. He's simply been referred to by "Camera Eye" thanks to that cover where he first appeared. I don't know who commissioned the Fraim brothers to do pieces of every Legion reject ever, but whoever did it has my eternal gratitude and admiration.

--

Klanker by Art Baltazar

This might literally be the most inappropriate sketch I've gotten at NYCC. If only because the reference for this was The Boys and I didn't want to scare any kids who might be around Art's table and catching a glimpse of the reference comic. I was glad he didn't have a problem with it.

Still though, I really do love Superduper as a Legion homage and on their own and wish they'd been in a comic with a better writer and a better artist. They were wasted on Ennis.

--

Double Decker by Antimo DeRocco

So in a prelude to a future post on Legion homages, Double Decker's a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes.

The LONDON Legion of Super-Heroes.

Introduced in Harley's Little Black Book, the London Legion's a group of four very British heroes who run into Harley Quinn while she's on an adventure with Wonder Woman.

You'd all think I'd be into Big Ben, but the hairstyle and beard killed my interest. Double Decker's appearance intrigues me because for once we're given a large-breasted woman who actually has proportions to support her chest. I might not be into female weight-gain related stuff, but for the love of God stop drawing women with giant bazongas and skeletons that look like they should've collapsed from the extra weight years ago! THAT'S NOT RIGHT!

Anyway I found Antimo's artwork while checking out the NYCC artist's alley page and was interested in getting a sketch. This was the last piece in my smaller sketchbook and I thought a bust shot made the most sense for Double Decker.

--

Sensor Girl by Uko Smith

This was my first time ever commissioning Uko even though I've considered it repeatedly. Earlier this year I contacted him on Facebook about getting an art piece as a birthday gift to myself. But then I got COVID in January and a lot of other things happened and I just never replied back.

After I saw Uko at the con on Thursday, I followed up on Sunday and gave him my regular-sized sketchbook to work on a piece.

I picked Jeckie's outfit designed by Giffen because I've always been intrigued by it. Her original Sensor Girl costume by Steve Lightle will always be superior, but this one's got its own charm and I love it. I feel the featureless mask is more unnerving and I dig the color scheme.

I suggested Uko provide the Emerald Eye in the background as a nod to Jeckie's storyline with the Emerald Empress. It was such a delight watching Uko work on this.

1 comment:

  1. Scooping the news outlets with the Polar Boy holiday special!

    ReplyDelete